Housing in Lyon

Housing in Lyon

  • How to obtain accommodation in a university residence ?

To request accommodation in university residences, you must make an application between 15th January and 31th May of each year, an application that is called Dossier Social Etudiant (DSE). The request for accommodation in a university residence is the second section of the Dossier Social Etudiant, of which the first is the request for a grant.

Learn more :

  • Housing Sciences Po Lyon

You are a future international student of Sciences Po Lyon, use the university housing platform on which you will be able to:

- Find a rental close to the campus
- Find your international or French roommate(s) and form shared rentals
- Find a room in a French family

Thousands of accommodations from private owners, halls of residence, real estate agencies, or rooms in private homes, are available close to the university.

Already Students ?

Log into the platform by clicking on “Student login” then use your intranet credentials.

Future Students ?

You will receive a code to log into the platform once you will be enrolled at Sciences Po Lyon.

Leasing informations :

Housing aid :
Whatever the nature of your rental, all international students are entitled to a housing aid, provided they have a valid ‘carte de séjour’. There are two types of aid which are mutually exclusive: personalized housing aid (APL) and social housing aid (ALS).
The amount varies according to various criteria such as rent, income, family situation…
To apply, you must go to : Caisse d’Allocations Familiales de l’Arrondissement de Lyon (CAFAL).

Agency fees :
The fees that you will have to pay for most rentals appear on the ad. They cover agency fees. They can amount to one-month rent. Make sure that the services provided are real (visits of a variety of apartments, drafting of the lease…). You may try to negotiate the fees, for example if you end up taking the first apartment you visited.

Stay away from agencies that sell you lists of private accommodation for rent. Such lists may cost 80 to 160€. Nothing guarantees that you will find appropriate housing within your budget.

Rental fees : (known as "charges locatives")
These include the maintenance fees.

Heating and water :
Might be individualized or for the building. In the first case, you rent a meter from EDF/GDF (the electricity and gas companies) and pay for the energy consumed. Remember to cancel your contract when you leave the country. If it is collective water and heating, the agency which rented you the apartment will ask you to pay for according to the size of your apartment.

Security Deposit and Guarantee :
In order to live with a family or rent a flat, you have to prove that you have the necessary financial resources. You will be asked for an “attestation de ressources”. Furthermore, if you rent a flat, you will have to make a security deposit (generally one month rent) which will be returned to you after you leave. Note: you cannot use that deposit for the last month of rent and damage on the appartement beyond wear-and-tear will be deducted from your security deposit. Finally, you will have to obtain a “caution solidaire”, which is a guarantee from a third-party stating that he/she will take over your rental payments if you default on your rent. Generally, agencies require that the guarantor be a French national. Some banks may exceptionally accept to serve as guarantor.

Lease :
Before you sign a lease, the landlord or his agent will require proof of financial resources and will inform you of the amount of the security deposit: this is used to cover repairs on the property or default on rent payment. Before you move in and after you move out, you will have to have an “état des lieux”, which is an inspection certificate describing the state of the premises. Note: your security deposit will be returned in part or entirely on the basis of the final état des lieux. Make sure that you are present and agree with the description.

Get around in Lyon

Housing may be found in the city center or in the suburbs. Like Paris and Marseille, Lyon is divided into districts (arrondissements). Sciences Po Lyon "campus Berthelot" is located at district 7, near districts 2, 8 and 3. 

  • The West and the North of Lyon
    These are essentially residential neighbourhoods: on the west side of the Saône River, you will find: Les Monts d’Or, Ecully, Tassin, Charbonnières, Francheville, Sainte Foy-lès-Lyon, and a part of the 5th and 9th arrondisseme-nt. To the North you will find the Croix Rousse hill (4th «arrondissement» ) and the very upscale area around Parc de la Tête d’Or (6th «arrondissement»). These suburban towns and the 4th and 6th arrondissements are where the upper middle-class lives, among parks and hills with views of Lyon and the peninsula between the Rhône and the Saône rivers. People are at the same time close to the city center and far from the industrial activities to the South and the East.
  • The historic center of Lyon
    The city center is a UNESCO World Heritage site and has the highest concentration of historical monuments and pedestrian shopping districts. It stretches from Place des Terreaux and the Pentes de la Croix Rousse in the north to Perrache station in the south. The heart of the center is Place Bellecour. Old Lyon (mainly located in the 5th arrondissement) is a large Renaissance district at the bottom of the Fourvière hill. The basilica of Fourvière sits at the top of the hill. There are quite a lot of apartments for rent in these neighbourhoods which are generally more expensive, maybe with the exception of the Terreaux neighborhood. Parking is very limited on the street. If you drive you will need to rent space in an underground municipal lot.
  • The East of Lyon
    3rd and 7th arrondissements, Villeurbanne These are very diverse districts with a mixture of 19th century architecture and contemporary glass and concrete; you also find small popular neighborhoods (Montchat) and large, busy thoroughfares (Jean-Jaurès, Berthelot). The population is mixed with a variety of urban functions (two universities and Sciences Po Lyon, government buildings, residential, old and new industries). There is a great abundance of apartments for rent, both modern and older, in this area. Most of the student residences are located here. The area is served by two metro lines, two tramway lines and buses. It includes the main train station of Lyon, Part-Dieu.
  • Further East
    The 8th arrondissement and the suburbs to the East (Vénissieux, Corbas, Bron, Vaulx-en-Velin) are more lower middle class and cheaper. The main campus of Université Lumière Lyon II is in Bron, in a strip mall area.
A support group can help you :
Melting Sciences Pot (Bureau des Internationaux) should be of special interest to you as its goal is to facilitate integration of international students at Sciences Po Lyon. This club will also help you to contact a Sciences Po Lyon student who will guide you during your first steps in Lyon. Facebook page or e-mail contact.